On the occasion of their Tech Industry Days, Renault unveiled its industrial metaverse, where all the group’s factories are digitally reproduced. What generates more than a billion data per day to optimize their operations. This results in lower costs that have already saved 780 million euros, while improving quality.
Renault has invested 225 million euros over 5 years to establish this industrial metaverse.
On the occasion of their “Tech Industry Days”, the Renault group unveiled in the Flins factory (78) an industrial metaverse project initiated in 2016. The manufacturer also presents this as a world first. All its factories in the world are now digitally doubled, and more than a billion pieces of data go up every day in a European Google cloud.
To set up this virtual reality, Renault has invested 225 million euros over 5 years and the results are already palpable with 780 million savings already achieved. But like the data that is more and more, the economies will also develop.
By 2025, Renault estimates that this new world will allow it to save more than 320 million on total costs, especially manufacturing, and 260 million on inventory. A device that will also be a means for the brand to reduce its CO2 footprint per vehicle by 50% and to speed up delivery times by 60%.
Quality improvements also part of the equation, the manufacturer also hopes that warranty costs will drop by 50% and, from an industrial point of view, a faster implementation of new technologies to 40% less. .
Sell the system to other manufacturers
In fact, all the objects that make up a factory are connected, but above all speak the same language as soon as the data is collected. For example, 8,500 pieces of equipment ranging from a simple screwdriver to a robotic welder, but also 107 presses, 172 machining centers or even 15 air extractions from paint booths can give birth to the cloud.
This metaserve looks set to bring production monitoring into a new era of constant optimization. The possible applications are still very numerous with the addition of a dose of artificial intelligence, which will rapidly develop with the many data collected. Quality control will win as training.
Renault has partnered with Atos to sell this virtual system to other business sectors such as rail, aviation, etc. Called ID@Scale, this metaverse has been “for sale” since June 2022, and Atos says it has already signed with a client. By 2027, the Renault-Atos association hopes to achieve a turnover of 49 million euros with 18 active customers.
Fast track thanks to metaverse
But this metaverse doesn’t stop at the factory gates. Indeed, the supply chain is also being investigated. The control center, currently located in Vélizy (78) but soon to join the Technocentre in Guyancourt (78), also monitors 6,000 trucks a day to better anticipate certain supply and therefore production problems. This “surveillance” will extend over months, and the developer hopes to be able to track the boats soon.
But this data forest does not stop upstream. In fact, downstream data is also used right up to the delivery of the vehicle to the dealer. This affects, for example, the delivery times, which are always faster. The first concrete thing that has been done in this area is the implementation of Fast Track. In fact, Renault offers Arkana or Captur in quick deliveries based on this system. But impossible to know how many days have been won.
Energy management in real time
More generally, in terms of reducing energy consumption, also at the center of this virtual world, Renault recalled the timetable for its decarbonisation. If the European goal of CO2 neutrality is set for 2030 (2050 worldwide), the ElectriCity cluster will be neutral thanks to the use of 75% renewable energy from 2025.
The Douai site (59) will be able to count on deep geothermal energy (4 km, made with Engie) with water at 130 degrees. Maubeuge (59) will use biomass (with Dalkia-EDF). These two systems will cover 70% of the heating needs at the two sites, and for the remaining 30%, Renault will use methanation with biogas.
Even in this energy management, the metaverse has its uses. With EcoGy, a software that makes it possible to track all consumption data from 24 factories, Renault can actually plan consumption (and buy cheaper energy), but also monitor abnormal things. For example, in a factory, the dashboard makes it possible to see in real time the consumption of identical machines, and if one consumes more than the others, it is notified to adjust them so that everyone consumes the same.
Consumption management, which has already made it possible to save 12% in 2022, and the goal is to reach 30% in 2025. To complete this energy chapter, Renault should soon announce a solar installation in France, which will cover 50% of needs. A project like the one already signed in Spain, with Iberdrola, covering the needs of Spanish sites with 600 gWh of carbon-free electricity thanks to solar installations.