the new Enedis decree, which could facilitate collection in owner-occupied apartments

The famous right to take has never really caught on in France. However, the decree goes back to 2011, when the first new generation of electric cars (Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe, Peugeot Ion, etc.) was born. But in eleven years, we cannot say that there will be an abundance of charging stations in apartment car parks. The fault, sometimes, with technical, financial or administrative obstacles that sooner or later will pose a problem for motorists, while the market share of electric has just exceeded that of diesel for the first time in France. However, remember that there are 450,000 condominiums in France, of which 380,000 have more than 10 units. One in two French people live in an apartment, and 7 million of them have a parking space! If we assume that 17 million electric cars will be on French roads by 2035 (Enedi’s estimate), then we realize the challenge that awaits the administrators. To increase the pace, residents will now be able to rely directly on Enedis, the leader of the energy distribution network in France.

Enedis to the end of the line

If Enedis managed the distribution of electricity in the homes, the last meters between the latter and the charging station located in the parking lot were, until now, rather the specialty of companies such as ZePlug or Park’nPlug. But thanks to the “Enedis” decree, which has just been published, apartment buildings will now be able to turn to the French giant to install charging stations in parking lots and at no cost. But as you can imagine, someone will eventually have to pay for the use and installation of the terminal. This is how the process will go:

  • Enedis proceeds to co-ownership, initially the costs of installing and connecting a collective infrastructure in the parking lot.
  • The co-owners then request the connection of their individual parking space to this new collective installation and pay Enedis a contribution to the cost of the collective infrastructure (share whose conditions of use have not yet been determined)
  • Finally, they install and finance the individual charging station of their choice and sign an electricity supply contract with the supplier of their choice.

In other words, this decree allows Enedis to cover the costs of the studies and the connection of the condominium to the charging infrastructure during construction. But it’s not free: they are actually integrated into Turpe (electricity delivery rate, a tax that all French people already pay!) up to 60%. The remaining 40% of the installation is paid… by the end user of the charging station. The strong point of the “Enedis” decree is that the condominiums no longer have to finance these connections, Enedis takes care of displacing the money. But this progress in the law does not please private operators: “the decree stipulates that the connection of the horizontal column which supplies the parking lots, as opposed to the vertical column which supplies electricity to the apartments, will be the responsibility of all French…the decree states that within the framework of the horizontal column, a percentage of the connection costs will be pre-financed by Enedis, which will have the role of installing a Linky meter in each connected location. The user must then repay 60% of the connection, the rest is already covered by Turpe. An estimated cost of between 1.5 and 2.4 billion euros, while the solutions offered by private companies do not cost a penny of public money“, the founder of ZePlug explained to Figaro. But the reality would be more complex: Enedis and the private operators would be more “complementary” than the competitors, since the market is huge. And for all these condominiums, which do not have finances to work further, Enedis will probably be an attractive offer.

Compare the real autonomy of the best electric cars according to our standardized measurement cycle. Battery capacity, consumption, autonomy, we tell you everything!

Leave a Comment