It’s the first Monday of the month, which indicates a new security update for Pixel phones. Google has officially released the October Pixel Update for eligible phones. This is the latest software update for Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL. As always, the incremental upgrade brings the new October 2022 monthly security update, fixes for known issues, and improvements. If you own the Pixel 4 or newer, read on to learn about the latest software.
As always, Google has officially shared the details of the new incremental update on its Pixel support page and mentioned that a new version is rolling out to eligible Pixel phones with build number TP1A.221005.002 (TP1A .221005.003 for Pixel 6a). Like other incremental Pixel updates, this is a small update weighing in at just 39.16MB. For availability, the update is available for Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a , Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a 5G, Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6a.
Talking about the changes, the new software fixes issues with launcher crashing when connecting to a VPN, compatibility issues with some app widgets, default media player icon shown in some apps, device crashing when playing audio from local storage, empty quick tiles in notification shade, and also fixed some issues related to audio and WiFi issues. Here is the full list of changes.
Google Pixel October Update – What’s New
- Fixed an issue that caused occasional audible hum or audio artifacts during calls when using wired headsets [Included on Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a (5G)]
- Fixed an issue that prevented device volume controls in media player notifications from working under certain conditions
- Fixed an issue that caused the launcher to crash when connecting to VPN under certain conditions
- user interface
- Fixed an issue that caused compatibility issues with some app widgets in Android 13
- Fixed an issue that caused the media player to display the default icon for some media apps
- Fixed an issue that caused the device to occasionally crash when playing audio from local storage
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused empty quick settings tiles to appear in the notification shade
- Fixed an issue that caused the work profile switch button to sometimes be truncated in the app drawer
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented available Wi-Fi networks from appearing in the network selection menu in some apps
The update is rolling out gradually, you will receive the October 2022 Update OTA notification when it is available on your device, you can tap it and download the update or just go to Settings > System > Advanced > System Update and install new software.
Additionally, you can manually install the September 2022 update on your Google Pixel phone by downloading the update. The stock images and OTA files from the September update are already available. But make sure to make a backup before downloading the new software.
Want to know more about iOS 16? Here’s a new video about Apple’s upcoming operating system for the iPhone.