Nothing Phone 1 is a new mid-range phone on the market. It is one of the hottest mid-range phones ever. That’s because of the new transparent design and the LEDs they call Glyph lights. The phone looks premium due to its unique design. And if you have Nothing Phone 1 and want to root the phone, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Nothing Phone 1 and how to unlock Nothing Phone 1 bootloader.
The smartphone’s symmetry is similar to the iPhone 12, and they even blend the display for a similar display design. Before moving on to the steps, let’s quickly check its specifications first. Nothing Phone 1 comes with a 6.55-inch Full HD+ display. It’s a 120Hz refresh rate screen, 50MP + 50MP rear camera setup and a 16MP front camera. The phone also comes with a Snapdragon 778G+ processor tuned for the device by Qualcomm.
Its main attraction is the glyph interface. The lights on the back turn on depending on the ringtone, wired and wireless charging and other actions. But manual adjustment of glyph lights is not available, so you have to use standard available preset. And as Nothing recently released the core source for the device, indicating that we may soon see customizable apps. But you may need to root your phone for these types of customizations.
Nothing Phone 1 has options for more than what the device comes with. But we have to wait for the custom development which shouldn’t take much time since the core source is now available. Although it may take some time, you can root your device instantly to enjoy root-level features and customizations. But to root Nothing Phone 1 you need to unlock the bootloader of Nothing Phone 1 first. Let’s see how to unlock the bootloader.
Unlock Nothing Phone 1 Bootloader
Like other Android phones, Nothing Phone 1 also comes with locked bootloader as one of the security features. It prevents users from modifying the device, including writing to the system, such as rooting or installing custom ROMs. So if you expect these changes then you need to unlock the bootloader of Nothing Phone 1. You can follow these steps to unlock the bootloader.
- Take a full backup or backup important data on your Nothing Phone 1. This process will reset your phone.
- Open Settings on your phone and open About the phone.
- Now go to the software information page and search Build number. Tap it 7 times to enable developer options.
- Go back to settings and then go to System > Developer Options.
- Go down a bit and you will find OEM Unlock, activate it. Activate as well USB debugging available in developer options.
- Install adb and fastboot drivers on your PC. You can also use the Platform SDK folder if you have Mac, Linux and Windows.
- Now connect your phone to your PC and if it asks for USB debugging permission, tap Allow. And open command windows from the platform tools location or open them directly if you have adb drivers installed. Instructions for opening the command window from a specific location.
- Enter the below command to check whether the device is connected or not. It will return the device ID.
- Give permission if there is a prompt on your phone. And then enter the command again to see if it is connected.
- Now you need to enter your phone into bootloader mode. To do this, enter the command below.
- Switch to Fastboot mode from the bootloader by using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select. In fastboot mode, enter the given command to unlock Nothing Phone 1 bootloader.
- Now you will have some options on your phone, go to unlock bootloader and press the power button.
- This will unlock the bootloader and reset your phone. You can now reboot the system using bootloader mode settings.
So that’s all you need to do to unlock Nothing Phone 1 bootloader. And once the bootloader is unlocked, you can now root your phone. But for rooting you need some files and apps mentioned in the prerequisites.
- Back up your phone
- Install the Magisk app on your phone
- Download Nothing Phone 1 firmware (same version as your phone is running)
Steps to root Nothing Phone 1 with Magisk
- Extract boot.img from the Nothing Phone 1 firmware and copy it to your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on Install.
- Now select “Select and patch file” from the available options.
- Select the boot.img file that you copied earlier and it will start patching the boot image.
- After the patch, the output file is saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Now copy the patched boot image and paste it on your computer in the folder C:\adb (Copy it into the platform tools folder if you want to use the command window from there). Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Nothing Phone 1 into Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps in the bootloader guide section.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder), type cmd in the address bar and press Enter to open the command window in that location (complete guide to open cmd from any location). Or find these folders using the cd command (eg cd C:/adb).
- Enter the given command to flash the patched Magisk file and root Nothing Phone 1. If the location in the command window is not the folder where the boot image is located, drag and drop boot.img after the fastboot flash boot command mentioned below.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your phone. You can use the fastboot reboot command.
- Install the Magisk app if it is not already installed. Now you will see Magisk installed indicating that your Nothing Phone 1 is rooted.
So there you have it, the guide to unlock bootloader and root Nothing Phone 1. Now you can start using apps and customization services that require root privilege. There are also various Xposed modules that you can use after installing the Xposed framework on your phone.
Want to know more about iOS 16? Here’s a new video about Apple’s upcoming operating system for the iPhone.