The metaverse would be the future of the internet, nothing less. And both Facebook and Microsoft are investing huge sums in this technology, which is to revolutionize our daily lives. But what sets a metavers apart from an online multi-user video game?
Tometaverset (the word is sometimes spelled “metavers”) represents the future of , but above all our social relations on a very large scale. And besides, he believes so strongly in it that he renamed Facebook Meta and intends to invest $ 50 billion in this new model. He even plans to recruit 10,000 engineers in Europe alone. The key: virtual spaces where we can relate to others, as in real life.
Meta-Facebook is not the only one who wants to invest in this new holy grail. Epic Games, the creator of Fortnite, which is proud of its 350 million users, has already begun to turn into a metaverse. And the companywould like to remind you that she is working on Meshan extension of Team (collaborative communication), a professional close to a metaverse. and Sony is no exception.
It is also true that oneestimates that this market could represent $ 2.5 trillion by 2030.
Online video games paved the way
Without a doubt, online video games called ”” like World of Warcraft or what are called “renewable worlds” such as EVE Online has paved the way for the metavers. The same could be said about social relationship games such as The Sims which was also eligible for an online version.
In addition, several experiments close to the metaverse have already taken place. As early as 1997, Canal + was launched The other world, a parallel life experience in a Paris reconstituted in computer-generated images. And from 2003, the video game Second Life allowed some to experiment with social interactions in a finely crafted world. But if such adventures have not gained much momentum, it is partly because the appropriate technology and alsowas not there.
Common features between video games and metaverse
In fact, there are many commonalities between video games on the Internet and the meta-verse that are coming.
- Avatars, that is, virtual characters that we embody. In an online video game we can take on the role of a magician, a knight, a merchant … The meta-verse will allow such experiences of self-doubling, in our own form or in a character.
- Objects or elements that have a special value and that one is ready to acquire. In an online game it can be armor or a specific horse. In a metaverse, it can be a gift like being able to fly or a work of art which we have acquired and which we exhibit at home.
- Complete cities, whether they are real (we could visit New York virtually before we went there forever) or imaginary, with places for recreation, competitions, etc.
- Homes that can be decorated as you wish, where you can “receive” friends;
- Endurance. We can leave this world at any time. When we get back to it, it evolved in parallel.
Where is the difference then? The first is that a metaverse will only have, a priorino limit on the number of participants, which in itself represents a gigantic technological challenge – and clarifies the scope of Meta-Facebook’s investments in.
A much wider panorama of activities than in a video game
However, a metaverse differs from a video game in that it incorporates a lot of activities that are not necessarily playful:
- type of work meetings ;
- opportunity to attend events such as concerts (as experienced by Fortnite) without having to travel;
- meetings of various kinds for the simple relational purpose;
- distance learning, etc.
Works in the metaverse
For many professions, the metaverse will represent huge opportunities to work from home. Already now we can play certain games called ” play to earn (play to win) to win certain items, creatures, or skills that can be sold to other players. This is already the case with Axie Infinity, whose practice for many residents of the Philippines is the main livelihood. This concept is bound to develop very strongly in the metaverses. And among the other lucrative activities that can be foreseen are:
- fashion designer for avatars;
- virtual house architect;
- creators of NFTs, unique works of art that can be exhibited at home;
- creator of games or applications;
- online coach.
Payments within the metaverse will necessarily be made using.
What equipment for the meta-verse?
It needs to be defined what will be the appropriate equipment for daily use in such a world. If players are willing to take onsuch as those of – a company acquired by Facebook – it seems unlikely that the public can give consent to the use of such accessories. Virtual reality glasses for immediate use seem more feasible.
The accessories Kinect launched by Microsoft for its Xbox showed that it was possible to use its hands as a joystick. It is therefore likely that the cameras included inand smartphones and other accessories tomorrow will be able to interpret of the body and facial expressions, transposing them on his , but also respond accordingly. Because the key word for the metaverse will no doubt be: immersion!