What a pleasure to ride with your hair in the wind in your convertible! You have the right to take advantage of the sunny days to take a nice trip. But do you take good care of your car? Proper cleaning of a bonnet can be learned and avoids unpleasant surprises over time. From maintenance to washing and protection, let’s take a look at the steps you need to follow to keep your hood in good condition!
First, before you get started, it is necessary to know what material your condom is made of. In addition, regular care, as with car maintenance in general, will allow it to remain in good condition and will offer you, like a car cover, better protection of the car in winter and against bad weather.
Vinyl or fabric?
A vinyl top has many advantages: it is less fragile, easier to maintain and above all waterproof. Conversely, a fabric hood is unfortunately not waterproof. In this case, it will be necessary to be very careful when maintaining it. This is its biggest drawback. By the way, the two materials clean very well.
If your convertible is not dirty, it is important to rinse your convertible at least once a month. Before embarking on this task, remember to hang up your hood properly and check that your gaskets are tight. This is to avoid unpleasant surprises when cleaning.
Here’s how you do it:
- Run a soft brush from front to back of your convertible to remove most dust and dirt
- Guide it with a jet of water from the front to the back at a distance of 30 cm so as not to damage the fabric
- Make sure all dust and grime is gone
- Wipe your hood with a microfiber cloth
- Let your hood dry completely
For fabric caps, if you can, use a wet vacuum cleaner that will make your job easier. Because the cost of maintaining a car can rise rapidly, it is therefore by no means a superfluous purchase.
Stains on a convertible are not easy to spot, but you need to be careful by regularly checking for mold or bird droppings. It is not at all impossible to perform any cleaning on your own. To do this, just buy special products for vinyl or fabric caps in specialty stores. Can we tell you a little more?
As with bleach, it is quite possible to do without bleach, detergent or alcohol. These can damage your soft top. To wash it, make sure it is in a shady place. Also, allow enough time to clean your entire convertible. To do this, follow our instructions, which are generally adapted to all specialty products sold in the market:
- Distribute the product over the entire hood
- Scrub with a soft brush
- Sprinkle a little product on stubborn stains
- Wait 15-20 minutes before gently scrubbing with your brush.
- If possible, let dry in the sun to go faster
Remember not to neglect drying: Make sure the entire hood is no longer damp before any other treatment!
As with washing, we recommend using specific products to protect fabric or vinyl. Do not play wizard apprentice! The life of the protection varies: on average, it is recommended to repeat this treatment every 1 to 2 months. Here are the steps you need to take to make your business successful:
- Shake the product well before and during application
- Apply the product on a dry, clean cloth in a place protected from drafts
- Protect the other parts of your convertible top to prevent the product from splashing
- Spray the preservative evenly over the entire convertible
- Let dry in the sun for at least 15 minutes depending on the weather
- Repeat and apply at least 3 coats
- Let dry well between the layers
Finally, remove the protrusions on the other parts with a microfiber cloth. Your favorite convertible must suffer to be beautiful!
Clean a bonnet: Our practical advice before you do it!
Because prevention is better than cure, here are some tips to help you keep the top of your convertible in good condition. First, make sure it has no cracks or crevices. In fact, these nuisances can generate additional costs for you. In addition, your hood should be very dry when you open it.
Otherwise, mold may develop. Similarly, if you see small puddles, beware, danger! You will need to waterproof your hood again. Finally, maintain the seals and hinges on your hood properly. For this, apply oil about 2 to 3 times a year in the hinges. Finish the job by washing your joints with a soap containing silicone to prevent them from becoming porous. And the icing on the cake, why not perfume the interior of your vehicle now?